Wednesday, November 9, 2016

XVII. GOD DOESN'T WANT ME TO BE UGLY

          I am a keloid former, one little scratch and it leaves a mark. One day I got a glass smashed into my face and the wounds needed over 50 stitches to close. I was not worried how I would look later since I was sure my wife would not mind. With scars running from the bridge of my nose up to my right eyelid plus a could more quarter inch scars in my right side I would surely look uglier than I was before. But for some heavenly reason the facial wounds healed good not leaving a noticeable mark - surely God works in mysterious ways. The wounds may have healed fast but it would have surely made the guy who inflicted the wound deeply laden with guilt had it scarred me for life. The incident was no accident but it was unintended and the guy who did it was someone very close to me.

      You see I have this strange fear of needles and I have always prayed that I be not sick so I could avoid the prick. I thought getting injected with anesthetics in my spine was the most painful encounter with the needle but luck played up a worse scenario to cure me of my fear. I was fully awake as I was being sewed up like Rambo and it lasted for almost an hour. I have to excuse myself three times from the surgeon so I could take a pee for gritting my teeth was not enough to handle the pain. God may have spared my looks but He sure gave me a lot of pains to earn it. I don't look any better today than I was before but I do have nothing but thanks each time I look at myself in the mirror.

       From the bad comes the good - the incident mended some relationships in the family.
Years later, I picked up the guy the guy from the airport upon arriving from Canada and I saw how relieved he was to see that I still have the old face he used know. The incident happened more than 20 years ago - we never made so much an issue out of it and only a few knew about what happened. We have moved on ...my brother and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment