Nobody wants to be lonely. It breaks your heart if for some reason you have to break ties with friends and relatives and seek peace in solitude. It happened to me about 20 years ago when some misunderstanding regarding the handling of family properties led me to detach myself from almost every people who were once close to me including my siblings. Someone in the family painted a bad picture of me and no amount of explanation would suffice for them to shift blame unless I go mud-slinging. Since nobody cared enough to ask question and instead resorted to cold shoulder treatment I thought it would be best for me to just keep my silence and just hope that someday that things would fall into their proper places and go back to normal.
In those 20 years I rarely went to parties, weddings and even funerals hoping that I would soon be forgotten and start a new life. When my Nokia 3210 conked out 15 years ago I did not bought another one and I found my self more alone but not not unhappy as I should be. In those years I read all the books I could get my hands on, watched movies and documentaries everyday and in between stay tuned to AM radio for news and commentaries. After store hours, all my remaining time I devoted to my wife and my kids and I can't remember of any night when I found it hard to get my much needed rest. I lived inside a shell and my only contact with the outside world was when I get to talk with customers about my favorite topic - books and history. Out of the misunderstandings that sent me to reclusive way of life I came to know myself more and what life is really all about.
I've had a wonderful life. My pre-school years with my grandparents were worth pondering about. My elementary days at Cecilio Apostol Elementary School was also memorable for its where I really discovered the joy of having friends. High school days at UST was a real downer for I was like a square peg trying to fit a round hole but it where I learned the joy of falling in love. It was work at Hooven Comalco Aluminum Industries after secondary school and I've had my first real adventures in the adult world. But the best years of my young life was during college at Technological Institute of the Philippines where I became some sort of a good, funny guy to my course mates. I was always surrounded by friends and almost everyone wanted to jam up with me.
Work at Manila Water Supply Project III was great and its where I found the woman with whom I would spend the rest of my life with. What more could I ask for having a wonderful young life. Then the misunderstanding that got me into this reclusive life - it was actually a blessing in disguise. The kind of love and happiness I experienced during those 20 years of solitude could never expressed in words. I became the kind of husband my wife wanted, sort of a father to my kids that they enjoyed being with and I became the kind of person that I have always wanted to be. Sure of myself, not binded by anything, at peace with my spirits and having the gifted sight of the seeing the true wonders of life.
It really is a wonderful life ...
No comments:
Post a Comment