Franklin Delano Roosevelt was an athletic young man, arrogant in some way, and highly ambitious. He aspired to be the president of the United States of America but at the age of 39 he was stricken with polio that rendered him paralyzed from waist down. Despite his handicap he won the presidency when America was in turmoil due to the Great Depression when people lost most if not all of their savings when the stock market collapsed. One out of four Americans were jobless and thousands of bank went broke. America needs an inspiring leader and Roosevelt rose to the occasion.
The mere act of standing up to every time he makes a public appearance, with heavy metal braces needed to be locked in place was a real painful experience. Crippled and unable to move around, he spent most of his time reconciling with his God and it expanded his mind and sensibilities. Looking back the old fancy world he used to have he came to emphatize with the poor and the under-privileged knowing how difficult life is when fate dealt you with a heavy hand. It was that sort of immersion that gave him the strength to lead the nation out of the depression and the second world war.
Arthur Ashe is another example. He was the first Black tennis superstar but was stricken with cancer after his playing days. When interviewed about how he was handling it, he said " There were millions of athletes who aspired to be where I was before and I never asked God why I succeeded where most people failed. Now that I am dying of this disease, who am I to question God why me ? " He died months later at peace with himself and left a legacy, a fine example to all aspiring athletes that they can excel if only they put their heart into it.
I for one, to a lesser degree, have some kind of similar experiences and it was only when I learned to take what life dishes out for me did I found the serenity that I've been longing for. I found my rightful place where I was able to make full use of my talents, sharing the things that I have learned with people who are willing to listen. I did those things for the pleasure of it and I never thought it would cause ripples for some of them, touching their lives. It may mean a little to most but for me it meant everything - knowing that I able to touch other people's lives the way I learned from other people who I came in touch with. For surely I can attest to the truth that every person you meet were by no means an accident, pre-arranged to travel that path, to impart a lesson or to deliver a message. The only thing we need to do is to listen and open our hearts, better things are in store for us only if we are willing to wait and allow the storm to pass - for God never make mistakes.
No comments:
Post a Comment