Saturday, January 14, 2017

2017 ... A NEW BEGINNING

call of books by Kimberly Dela Cruz


          2017 ... my 58th year on the planet and what have I got to show ?  No house, no car, no money in the bank, not even a TV set at home, and the possibility of losing our business after 20 years. With the kind of financial mess were in, losing our only means of livelihood  made our nights a little longer trying to figure out how we'll gonna make both ends meet. Then came the Inquirer story,  it may not have solved our problem but it gave us some ray of hope that maybe we should take this one as an opportunity in disguise.

        It seems like its not yet the end of the road for me but just a temporary setback.  The proposed renovation will set us back a few meters behind our original place, a bit farther from the eyes of pedestrians but the Inquirer story have aroused the curiosity of some booklovers who came in droves to see what we have got to offer. Since we will be in the interior closing time will be adjusted to 8:00 PM losing my extended closing time but giving me more time to check my Facebook account and do some writings.  The upside of modern technology, it will help me widen my market base.

         Its not everyday that you get this kind of opportunity - getting recognized for something that you're doing for the love of it.  I may have lagged behind my contemporaries in terms of financial gain but somehow I was able to even things up by having a meaningful life.  The simple bookstore was my world where I got to communicate with people who share the same passion.  I got to talk about the things I love to talk about and helped open doors for them to see the world in different horizons. 

        The article meant a lot to me knowing I have earned some stripes in the field I decided to jump in.  The road to knowing is easy for there are a lot of books that could help you communicate with people who lived hundreds of years before you but making them listen as you relay to them the things you have learned is another thing. The last 20 years I've been talking to different faces most of which I could not even remember but luckily for some it had caused ripples and at least I could say I was able to touch them in a positive way.  I have learned a lot but I have not learned everything. I wish to go on learning while I still can and share them to whoever is willing to listen.

         And this year, this day will be a new beginning ...

No comments:

Post a Comment