"Hakuna Matata", what a wonderful phrase. It means no worries, for the rest of your days. Its a problem free philosophy, when the world turn its back on you, you turn your back against the world. It was Timon and Pumba's way of living a happy life until they stumbled upon a young Simba, whom they will soon help to take back the kingdom his evil uncle Scar took away from his father, Mufasa, the Lion King.
Its easy to lose your self in the city, so crowded, so many people, so many choices. But its a lot easier to be alone, you can choose the people you can blend with as well as those you can ignore. Unlike in the village where you have to know everybody and be nice to everybody, in the city its okay for you not to know your neighbors. You just pretend that you didn't notice their faces as you passes by, or you don't go out of your apartment like my grandmother did in her last ten years of life. Grandpa was her world, the windows her only means to see the other side of it, and we and some other relative visitors to connect with.
My grandparents decided to sell everything they own in the barrio to help my mother, their only daughter, build a home of our own in the city. My grandmother was turning 70 when they moved to the city, living with us under the same roof, happy for each and everyone of us, but not used to not being the master of the house. She never developed the fondness for television, or to a crowded home, so they asked to move to one of the apartment we rent out so she and grandpa could have more privacy. I did not move with them but I stayed there most of the time to run errands. Later, they took in some relatives as boarders so they could have some extra money for their expenses.
Every evening was story telling time at their place, with almost all the boarders at home from work, most of them nieces and nephews of my grandparents. I was a teenager then, I listen to them for some wisdom and I took care of the comedy part of the conversations. Grandma always have something for me, and my uncles usually treat me to free movies and food. It was the best treat I had in my young days, a short stop after I have finished my chores at home, where I never get to watch what I wanted on TV anyway. When grandma got sick, Mom decided to have me stay with them. To them, I was more like a son they never had.
My grandma was bedridden for almost two, unable to stand up, but able to sit down by the window. her only connection to the world out side. The city was alien to her, she was happy with Grandpa doing everything for her, me to run errands, our family to cheer her up from time time, and relatives who visited her to remind her that she was a good person. She said she she needed little to get by, simple needs and simple desires, so why bother about worrying about other things. She was sick and I was no doctor, so I need not worry about her 'cause I could do nothing to ease her pains. She tried hard not to show her anguish especially at night so she would not disrupt my sleep, but I know she was hurting since grandpa was always awake by her side caressing her to ease her pains. She too was grandpa's life, and I felt how lost he was when grandma died.
Grandma saw that each of us, one by one were doing good, getting the education we need. I was assigned to work on a job site over a hundred kilometers away, with no means of communication except short wave radio, so there was no way they could have told me that grandma was dying. I go home every two weeks after payday but one Wednesday morning while supervising some excavation near the access road I just felt the urge of coming home. I was in my working clothes, the town proper was 30 kilometers away from our job site, and there was no more room inside the Land Cruiser so I have to ride on the hood. On town while marketing for our supplies, I asked a friend to fill in for my absence and I caught a bus on my way home. When I reached home, my Mom was surprised to see me, cried and told me that grandma just died. It might been just a coincidence but it struck me real hard - she wanted me to be there before she goes. I was just a few minutes late.
Grandpa took her death mildly, feeling relieved that her pains had finally ended. I asked to be re-assigned to our main office so at least he could have someone close to look after him. The same thing he said - no need to worry - I could keep him company that only he could heal his loneliness. He doesn't want to be a burden and everyday when I go home I usually find him sitting by the window quietly. We talk some but the evenings were usually quiet with me trying to catch some sleep and he trying the same. A month short of one year, grandpa too died, maybe more out of loneliness than anything else.
Worrying is nonsense - things happen for a reason, and bad things usually don't last long. Grandma have taught me well - how to clean the house, do laundry, mend my clothes, and other home and farm activities without getting bored. Doing things out of obligations will always be like dragging a sack full of rice, boring and tiring, but once you learn how to love whatever you are doing, your mind is free to think of other things. I may have swayed a bit in my younger days, but I am right where I should be. Handling every hardships and problems that come my way but always making sure that no matter what, the people around, my family, are happy that I am still with them.
Thank you kuya ed. I find this very timely. Hakuna Matata! God bless.
ReplyDelete