I enjoyed life when I was young ...spoiled by my grandparents. Elementary days was very memorable so was my high school years though not as good. Then 2 exciting years as a factory worker before my college days - still the best years of my young life. Ten years at MWSS was an excursion and married life ... not so prosperous, slid down to almost zero but even if I have the power to go back and change our past I wouldn't touch a thing. We lost our way, fell downhill and lost everything we've worked for but it only strengthened the bond not only between me and my wife but with our kids. Its not really something to brag about but we managed to have a home, always lacking the basic essentials yet filled with laughter and good memories.
We moved around a lot after we got kicked out of my parent's old residence when it was sold. 12 times, until we finally found a good apartment 10 years ago. Our kids never knew Christmas and New Year like other families. For to us they were just but another day and another night. No birthday parties either for we were so financially drained that our worries were more about what we need one day at a time. The cause for celebration were the occasional "lucky" days when we could afford to buy meat for a good meal. And Christmas is when we receive Balikbayan package from my parents and other relatives abroad. In between we have to fill up the gaps with good movies, watched them together and do some storytelling. In my book, those were the finest performances I did infront of 6 adoring audiences. It was me against the TV set, their cellphones and play stations and I always win. My wife took care of everything in between, most especially the laugh-in parts and post-performance commentaries. We may have failed in a lot of things, unable to provide good food for their stomachs but at least we were able to hit their hearts.
What we lacked financially, Len and I worked to bridge the gap through being always there one hundred percent of the time. The kids created their own world but they always look back to see if we are within shouting distance - kids value more your presence than presents. Never did they got used to expect " pasalubong " each time we came from work and contented themselves of having us watched cartoons and classic movies until midnight. While other kids came to know Justin Bieber and Britney Spears, our kids enjoyed the likes of Doris Day, Julie Andrews, Gene Kelly and Jacky Chan classics. We solved Math problems together and tried-out artworks we saw on TV. The corny jokes and " kantiyawan " became a family tradition. Our world was different ...
Sometimes I wonder why people seem to find it difficult to make a happy home. I guess most of them have been too serious about making a living, fulfilling their dreams that they forget about enjoying the time they have. Kids grow up so fast that you have to be there in their early life - the time when they still adore and idolize you and take you seriously. I think we parents should be there to walk with them, have fun with them, play with them, and not take them as an extension of our dreams. I may be wrong, but one thing I am sure of is they will always have a room for me in their memories. I worked hard and tried to provide them a good life. I might have failed on that part but I am not done yet. Now that they are one by one building their own life, their own world, I have more time for myself, and get back to building another life for me and my wife.
As the saying goes - I have move a little bit faster since I have less time left.
No comments:
Post a Comment