Monday, May 1, 2017

THE ABC OF HAPPINESS - "THE HAPPY IDIOT"

SCENE FROM  "BLUE BLOOD SERIES - Season 6 "  :

          The usual Regan family dinner, Danny mentioned that he was being offered a job 4 times his present salary.  He was actually baiting for opinions and grandfather Regan was first to break the ice, asked Danny if he is considering the offer.  Danny answered that only an idiot would turn down such offer. His grandfather knowing how dedicated he was to his job as a detective remarked, " Then, be an idiot, a happy idiot ! "  Danny smiled, and the rest of the family nodded in approval settling the issue.

          About 20 years ago, I too had the kind of opportunity.  My friends were landing jobs in the Middle East an I was not too far behind having the same kind of experience and qualifications they have. The only difference was they were single and I was married with 5 kids, the eldest of which was barely 8 years old. It would mean leaving my family behind for at least 2 years. I trust my wife but my kids were in their early years that I can't imagine how things would be if I'm out of the picture. Life was a real trial during those years having lost everything we've worked for, and having very little to keep our heads above water, it was time for us to join hands in facing all the hardships that befell us. Since we could not get ourselves out of the water, we learned how to swim in it and enjoyed whatever came our way as we wait for the tides to turn in our favor. Money would have been a good solution to most of the problems we've had, but very little could be done to solve the "real" problems when you are out of the scene.

          Some people close to me thought of me as a fool for letting those opportunities passed. It was a hard climb sending 5 kids through school, especially the college years. But in another year, I would be able to say that being a "happy idiot" was not too bad after all. The hardships, the pains, the trials, we had through all those years have opened my mind to different kind of understanding. I may not be like the shining star like the "Karate Kid" but I have played the role of "Miyagi" in them. Like a good father and a good teacher, I walked side by side with my kids until we go separate ways.  Along the way, I lost all my friends unable to keep pace with them. Unfounded stories have alienated me from my siblings but maybe I could still catch up with them once we have improved our lot.

          58 years and counting, it was a good run. Despite the hurdles, smiles and laughter never faded.  I may be racing down the last stage bothered by gout-stricken hands and pricking-needle pains in my feet. The fading vision, failing memories, and missing teeth, all add up to inconveniences in handling my daily tasks but never dulls the desire to learn more. I guess I have found somewhere that little den of inner peace ...my own brand of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment